Different Makes Me Beautiful

Different Makes Me Beautiful

Being an Asian girl, growing up with mostly Caucasian kids had its good times and bad. I still remember being called ‘flat face’ or ‘Chinese eyes’ and it really hurt when I was little. Now I can just laugh about it all, but inside I can still feel that pain that I had before. But does that drive me to go to far lengths to feel fit in? Of course not; I have matured and I actually love my differences and the way I look. But I can understand why many Asians and other women of ethnic groups choose to alter their looks and go under surgery so they can feel better about themselves.


Many Asian women undergo double eyelid surgery to change the look of their eyes.

Many Asian women undergo double eyelid surgery to change the look of their eyes.



For instance, double eyelid surgery is a common surgery that many Asian women go through. Most Asians are born with a very small crease in their eyelid or nothing at all. Nowadays, many Asian women are led to think that the Caucasian look, including the eyes, are much more attractive which cause many to undergo changes. It’s quite common in Japan for women to use special glue to lift their eyelids up to make them look more Western. Even magazines recommend girls to consider surgery to look better.


Asians and other races have different attributes, but I still consider them beautiful the way they are.

I understand where a lot of these girls are coming from when they say they want to look better, but I feel that there’s really no need to change their physical appearance. These girls seem to be very weak towards criticism and the media, making them feel like they are not as pretty as another girl. The media does tend to pressure women into thinking that beauty is one or the other, but I think we should all understand that there’s really no specific standard to being beautiful. I think it’s time for women to become stronger and say to themselves, “I am beautiful, even if I don’t look like the woman next to me.”


Just to keep things straight, I want to say that I have no problem with surgery, I have nothing against people that do it, and I’m not saying that you shouldn’t do it either. However, I think that all women of different races should be proud of their differences and embrace their beauty. Let’s face it, every one’s different – even celebrities look different, meaning everyone has a different part of them that makes them attractive. Besides, surgery often means lots of pain and money, and some cases don’t even work out like you expected. I think women with different facial looks are absolutely gorgeous and they have a special beauty that no other can have. Why not treasure it?





Taken from http://antiquedress.blogspot.com/